We’re working with the youth marketing agency, Livity to offer one young person a year-long Apprenticeship within their Account Management team.
The programme is named after Merlin – the mascot of The Marketing Academy, a non-profit organisation whose aims are to develop talent and leadership within the marketing, advertising and communications industries. Merlin’s Apprentice programme is a 12 month fully paid marketing apprenticeship for young adults who because of challenging backgrounds, lack of qualifications or poor life choices are normally overlooked for this kind of work experience.
If this sounds like you then read on!
This opportunity is available to anyone who is aged 18 to 24 and who is currently classified as a ‘NEET’ (not in education, employment or training). You may have struggled at school, have been in care, are long-term unemployed or have made poor life choices.
You do not need any formal qualifications as full training will be given but you will need to show strong communication skills and enthusiasm, as well as basic IT abilities. You must also demonstrate a genuine interest in developing a career within marketing communications.
To find out what the Apprenticeship involves and to see if it might be the right opportunity for you, take a look at the Job Description below.
The aim of the Merlin’s Apprentice programme is to equip you with the basic knowledge, skills and experience to work towards a career in marketing and communications.
This is a 12 month Apprenticeship and you’ll receive an annual salary of £13,000, funded through The Marketing Academy.
The programme involves:
- 12 months’ paid work experience, hosted by Livity based their office in Brixton
- A recognised marketing qualification through the Chartered Institute of Marketing
- The skills and knowledge to understand fundamental marketing concepts
- Practical office skills – including software packages, administration systems etc.
- Developing your confidence and motivation towards a future career
Merlin’s Apprentice is an initiative of Marketing Hall of Legends UK – the voluntary, non-profit organisation behind The Marketing Academy. They will be funding the initiatives and therefore your employer but you will be seconded to Livity who will manage and support your day to day work.
You will also have access to learning streams from The Marketing Academy Scholarship, enabling each Apprentice to benefit from mentoring, coaching, networking and personalised learning.
We cannot guarantee you a job at the end of the year, but we will support you to look for permanent employment.
You can find out more about Merlin’s Apprentice here.
The application process is open now and the closing date is Monday 14th September 2015. The year-long Apprenticeship will begin in October 2015.
How do I apply?
We want to support young people who may not otherwise be able to achieve a career in marketing. We’re interested in your potential, not your qualifications or employment history. So we’ve designed an application process which enables you to use your creativity and communication skills.
You need to send us three things:
1 – Your CV:
This includes all of your contact information and any qualifications or experience to date. Experience may by from paid or voluntary work, other formal or informal activities. Tell us about your hobbies, interests and the things you are most proud to have achieved. If you don’t have a CV, there are plenty of templates and guides available online. This should be no more than two sides of A4 paper.
2 – Reference Letter:
Ask someone who knows you well to write a supporting letter, explaining why they think you should be chosen for this opportunity. It could be from a parent or guardian, teacher or youth worker. Ask them to explain their relationship with you and to highlight your achievements and strengths, and why an opportunity to learn the basics of marketing would be important to you. This should be no more than two sides of A4 paper.
3 – ‘Why Me’:
This is your opportunity to showcase the reasons why you feel you should be selected for an Apprenticeship above all other applicants and to demonstrate your strengths and talents, particularly in relation to the Job Description and Person Specification. The format of this is entirely up to you, so be creative. It could be a written document, a presentation, a short film or whatever you choose. It should take no more than two minutes to read, watch, look at or listen to, and if you are selected for interview, you will be asked to share with the marketing team in person.
Have a think about whether this is the right opportunity for you
- Are you interested in a career in marketing and communications?
- Are you good at communicating with people?
- Will you be able to work full-time in central London?
- Do you have the enthusiasm and commitment to be a real success?
- To discuss the role, please email email@example.com
If you want to apply, then complete the three elements of your application listed above. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us no later than 5pm on Monday 14th September 2015. We’ll let you know whether you have been shortlisted by Friday 25th September 2015 and interviews will take place between 28th September 2015 and 9th August 2015.
Marketing Apprentice – Job Description
Reporting to: Account Manager
About Livity: Livity is a youth marketing agency that exists to improve and benefit the lives of young people, whilst delivering brand and business benefits to our clients through a non-traditional marketing approach and unique methodology of youth-centred design. We work with young people every day to co-create campaigns, content and communities. We’re currently working with a fantastic range of clients and partners – from Google, Channel 4, NSPCC, Public Health England to Barclays, Unilever and Big Lottery Fund. These clients get uniquely deep youth insights and a precious pool of young talent, energy and ideas, and the young people based in our office every day get training, equipment, support, mentoring and opportunities to build brighter futures.
Role in a nutshell: The Marketing Executive will support our Account Executives, Managers and Directors with the delivery across our client projects, such as Barclays LifeSkills, somewhereto_, Victim Support to name a few. They will get involved in a variety of different areas of the business, from pulling together client research, supporting and inputting into the creative process, supplier sourcing and management, project finance, reception cover to support in managing the production process. Our Marketing Apprentice will receive an all rounded experience and insight into agency life.
Key areas of accountability:
- Provide support and assistance across various project teams and helping with general project tasks, which may involve working across project management, digital and marcomms
- Assist in providing necessary market information and other facts necessary to address briefs
- Offer creative input and suggestions when required
- Undertake the development for each concept as briefed e.g. sourcing / contacting third parties, obtaining quotations – under the supervision and / or guidance of the Account Manager
- Prepare material for client, collation of samples/visuals etc
- Uploading web content
- Help ensure that all material produced by the Account Team is free from errors and omissions
- Assist in the briefing of internal and external resources as required e.g. design, artwork, print and photography
- Prepare draft copy for Account Manager’s approval
- Ensure that all developments are promptly reported in an accurate, precise and timely manner
- Where relevant build a relationship with your key client contacts
- Take ownership of small projects / smaller sections within a larger project – reporting into your Account Manager
- Prepare for and attend status meetings, ensuring accurate notes on all matters arising
- Ensure that all work is saved in the correct place on the server and/or is filed in a way that can be easily accessed by other team members
- Ensure that all conversations in respect of quotes, confirmations, instructions are put in writing immediately, and filed where appropriate
- Ensure that samples received are disposed of in an appropriate manner or returned to suppliers
- Obtain at least 3 quotes for all bought in services
- Provide accurate and complete purchase orders within 24 hours of commissioning the work
- Complete timesheets on the internal system in a timely manner
- Cover the Livity reception for at least one hour each day, answering the phone within three rings
- Set up meeting room for meetings / brainstorms
- Participate in meetings, brainstorms and focus groups
- Keep up to date with developments / news in the industry
- Help with general office tasks
- Convey at all times the professional image of Livity to clients at the same time as contributing to the spirit of the Company
- Always work in a professional, hard working, reliable manner and to always show respect to colleagues, young people and clients
- Good time management
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in the marketing industry
- Good level of literacy and numeracy
- Committed and dedicated
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Keen to support a team
- Livity staff
Marketing Apprentice – Person Specification:
- Be aged between 18 and 24 years old
- Not be in full-time education, employment or training
- Be living in the Greater London area for the duration of the programme
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in marketing, design, media, creative, digital, PR, and/or communications
- Evidence commitment to, or a desire for, self-development, and show interest in broadening horizons through work
- Have a basic level of numeracy and literacy
- Possess a proactive attitude, be able to work calmly and efficiently under pressure and have a professional outlook
- Have the right to work in the UK and be residing in guaranteed accommodation
- Be committed to the programme for one year
- Show good time-keeping, attendance and have a professional attitude
- Be ready to start full-time employment by mid October 2015
If you think this job is for you then please apply with your three part application by 5pm on Monday 14th September 2015 to email@example.com