My pick of the best things I learnt at Boot Camp #3
- Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is enlightenment
- What is your elevator pitch? – who are you? what do you do? what are your values? what are you passionate about? what do you want?
- Someone needs to make the hard decisions, sometimes you need a certain level of ruthlessness
- Recruiting the enemy is twice as effective as killing them
- Point your team in a clear direction, give them lots of encouragement and trust. Then being good will boost their morale.
- Be a squirrel – collect and store information and stimulus
- Ask ‘so what?’ (I do that a lot!)
- Dare to dream. Make it happen.
- How far do you dare yourself to go?
- What do your fears/weaknesses help you do better?
- Set challenges to your team out of their comfort zone and nurture/encourage and offer safety
- If you have talented junior people in your team get them sponsors and supporters across the business. Encourage them to hand raise.
- Grit plus self belief will bring success
- Don’t give time to worry, it’s time wasted
- Get a regular dose of people who excite and motivate you
- This is your life and it’s ending one minute at a time.
By Jennifer Elworthy, 2012 Scholar